A QUICK FOREWORD...

As with anything, I always recommend beginning at the beginning. However, in case you don't want to peruse my entries from the beginning (& hey, it's your loss), here's a quickie for you.


I basically like Twilight. I appreciate it for what it is, and recognize it's shortcomings. If you're a crazed Twi-fanatic, consider yourself warned.

Kristen Stewart is on my shortlist of favorite actors, and Robert Pattinson is not only gorgeous, he's talented too.

The cast in general blows my mind. Not for their acting skills (which are super sweet), but the fact that they are all so normal seeming. And they get along. No cat fights, no set drama. I'd love to see a remake of The Breakfast club with this cast, where they act as themselves. someone make that happen k thanks.

Stephenie Meyer, as a stay-at-home mom of multiple kids, wrote a book. She's kinda my hero. I want to do what she's done.

All opinions and thoughts are welcome here, so please feel free to speak your mind. :)

PS-I tend to go off on tangents like no one's business, and occasionally stray from what I really wanted to say. I'm also too impatient to go back and re-read what I've written to make sure it sounds right. I apologize for any ramblings, incoherence, and other minor transgressions I might make.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Anti-Feminist? Please!

I'm in the process of a big move to a different state, which is super time consuming since my hubby is out of town and I've got two small kids and a house to deal with at the same time. So needless to say, free time is a rare thing most days.

As usual, with my free time, when I'm not blogging of course, is spent reading. But I don't want to get into a book right now because I can't dedicate my full attention to it. So, I'm doing what I always do in this situation. I'm re-reading something quick, easy, and enjoyable. This time, it's Twilight.

After reading the first few chapters, where Bella starts the ritual of cooking and cleaning up deaning, I was reminded of the anti-feminism rants I read. This is my take on it, and you'll notice it's not very long. I don't really see any need to dedicate a lot of my precious free time to such a ridiculous subject.

I think there comes a point where a line is crossed, in many of the stands that people take. For example, with racism, something I abhor, people go so far that they don't realize they've circled all the way back around to what they dispise, on the opposite side. Let me see if I can put this into clearer words.

They say that all people are created equal. Check. That is, in my opinion, the do-all and be-all in the situation. But then groups go above and beyond to do special things for different minority groups, apparently oblivious to the fact that they hated it when the white people did those same special things for their race. I think it's ridiculous.

The same thing applies to Twilight and feminism in my mind. I do not think that a woman's place is in the kitchen, or cleaning up after a man. Unless that's where she wants to be. If a man wanted to cook dinner for his mother every night, and clean up the dishes besides, people would think he was awesome, so considerate. But because women fought to get out of the kitchen, they should never go back again? Because women were forced to cook and clean for their men for years, they can never do so again willingly. There is no such thing as willingly?

Now, correct me please if I'm not understanding the issue at hand, I would love to hear it. Because it seems ridiculous to me that a woman won't let a man hold the door open for her just because he's a man and she's a woman.

And on a broader scope, the whole "helpless female is rescued by strong male" thing? Why is that so bad? I'm a very strong woman, with a mile-wide independent streak, and I have no problems with daydreaming about a gorgeous, perfect, dangerous, incredible man who can do literally ANYTHING waltzing into my life. And Bella is clearly not helpless, despite how Edward's awesomeness may make her appear. She is after all the one who saves them all.




How's that for girl power?







I think it's sad that women feel the need to be "ultra-feminist", like we don't need men for any more than procreation. While I may echo this sentiment from time to time about my husband, it is in jest, or at the worst spite, and has no truth to it. Men and women are the same. Period. Men are genetically built to be stronger, therefore taking over in situations that require machoness. Women are smarter (everyone knows that ;) ) and therefore take over the problem solving areas. The two are uniquely cut out to fit the other, working in harmony, one filling in the other's spaces. I know some strong women, and I know some smart men; saying that doing what they are good at makes them anti-feminist is ridiculous.

I think by the number of times I've used the word "ridiculous" you can tell how I feel about the whole situation. ;)




Kristen agrees; put all that energy towards something worthwhile, not bashing Stephenie Meyer's books!




People should just enjoy a fairytale for what it is and stop looking for deeper meaning in it. I mean, we're not talking about War & Peace here people. Why are you getting so worked up about ethics and rights in a story about vampires?




Next it'll be some Peta-type group saying that vampires rights are being infringed on...sheesh!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I completely agree. Also when you figure out the obession with Twilight, let me know. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the cult. I like the books and all but I think it all goes a tid to far sometimes.